Hey biologyweeps, I know Hydrogen Peroxide can have its uses, but I thought you’d get a kick out of some of the “uses” in this article (particularly the bits about using it to “get oxygen into the system” by applying to the skin and also the apparent cancer fighting properties…)
Can we have some debunkery, please?
Plaguemother have mercy, WHY.
Also why do people never fucking source their shit, they end up posting stuff like that that is half reasonable and half utter bullshit. Let’s go through this one by one.
1) That’s a thing, the FDA agrees
2) that’s also a thing and infect what many a laundry detergent already uses as bleaching agent. It applied in the form of Sodiumpercarboante.
3) But don’t you beleive that H2O2 works against every kind of microorganism. (here)
4) Well, duh, that’s why we call them ‘peroxide blondes’
5) First see point 3 about the limitations of H2O2. Next, why your ear of all places, it’s not like you’re inhaling most aerosol germs or anything? I mean yes your ears your mouth and your nose are connected, but for that you need to pour in enough H2O2 to get into your pharynx to begin with and then even then it doesn’t magically defeat gravity and rise into your nose and you’re not supposed to inhale it into your lungs to begin with.
6) The fizzing is because H2O2 decomposes to H2O and O2. the reaction can be catalysed with the enzyme catalase. Nearly all living tissue produces catalse, hence if you pour it onto wounds it fizzes. As for he rest of it one should consider that liberal H2O2 application has been implicated in stronger scaring (here)
7) Yeah that works if it’s part of creams, not so sure about slapping sheer H2O2 onto your skin. Note that H2O2 may temporarily make your skin appear paler by causing microembolisms in your capillaries (here, page 4).
8) for that to happen you need water your plants with it because the effect goes like this: water + H2O2 = spontanous generation of O2 via decomposition of the H2O2. If you water plants with it it may help prevent root rot, since root rot happens when your plants roots are suffocating due to lack of oxygen. Alternatively you could try loosening up the soil in your pots or giving your plants new pots every now and then.
9) NO. You oxygenate your body through breathing, despite what everyone tells you. Your pores are not for breathing, they’re the end points of your sweat glands. Seriously, this is bullshit. And it doesn’t detoxify you, either. Your kidneys and liver do that. You do not need any fizzy baths to help you.
10) NO. First it is bullshit that all cancer is the same. It’s not. Next, if cancer needed less oxygen do you think you’d find tumors with crazy levels of vein building activity. IVs have been linked to deaths. The 35% concentration is not safe to consume, do not do this thing, do not replace your cancer treatment with this bullshit it will not help you it will very likely make you worse.
Edit: oh sweet purulent Broodmother someone in the comments is fucking using this for cancer treatment.